To Avoid an AC Repair Jacksonville Contractors Recommend Preventive Maintenance
If you want to avoid an AC repair Jacksonville HVAC companies will all tell you that being proactive rather than reactive is the best way to keep your system performing optimally, as well as extending the life expectancy of your equipment.
But exactly how do you go about doing that?
The best way to do that is by performing some preventive maintenance. So if you want to avoid an AC repair Jacksonville AC companies all endorse the following preventive maintenance tasks.
- Clean debris off unit coils.
- Make sure your unit is on firm, level ground, or preferably, a cement platform foundation. And if you live in a hurricane zone, it’s wise to have your outdoor unit firmly attached to a hurricane rated foundation up to 150 mph.
- Trim back weeds and other plants to keep them away from the unit where they could get into and damage the moving parts.
- Put down mulch, rocks, or something similar around the unit to keep dirt from splashing into the coils and blocking the airflow.
- Reapply a pest control product to keep ants and other pests away from the parts so they can’t get into the equipment and cause damage (ants are notorious for doing that).
- Check the unit’s coil and cover for holes.
- Check the fan blades while moving and stationary for wear and any visible damage.
- Check and clean the exterior control panel.
- Inspect refrigerant lines monthly. If they appear to be freezing, your system might be low on Freon so you will need to call a AC Repair Jacksonville company to check it.
- Clean and/or replace the filters every 90 days, every 30 days if you have pets or severe allergies.
- Have your ductwork inspected for leaks annually.
- Call for service immediately if you notice any unusual noises or odors upon startup or otherwise.
- Call for service if you notice your thermostat cycling on and off too quickly. There might be a problem with your thermostat.
- Clean and inspect, or have cleaned and inspected all the wiring and moving parts of your unit.
- Clean the AC condensation pan annually with a bleach/water mixture. If you don’t know how to do this, contact an AC Repair Jacksonville company to do it for you. If you don’t, it could (and probably will) eventually clog, overflow, drip, and cause damage to the ceiling and/or surrounding area.
Tips and Tricks AC Repair Jacksonville Companies All Swear By
1. Develop a monthly and yearly plan for all preventive AC maintenance tasks.
2. Keep detailed notes of all AC inspections and the work performed such as when and what was done, who did the repair, the cause and the cure, what can be done to prevent it from happening again, etc.
3. Keep a preventive maintenance calendar. This will help you stay on schedule and prevent any deferred maintenance from occurring.
4. Buying high-efficiency pleated filters will help prolong your HVAC system’s life because they have an electrostatic charge that attracts even the smallest particles and bacteria which will keep most of them from getting into your system.
5. You should never close more than 20 percent of your home’s air vents. If you do, it will put an unnecessary strain on your HVAC system.
If you would like more information about HVAC preventive maintenance or have an AC repair Jacksonville contractors would be happy to help you with all your HVAC needs.