New Heating System ChecklistFebruary 6, 2019
5 Ways how to Eliminate Hot and Cold Spots in Your HomeMarch 6, 2019
If your air conditioning unit stopped working in Jacksonville, it’s a very unfortunate event especially during the summer. If you find yourself in this situation, you should get a professional HVAC technician to check your AC and there might be the good news is you may not need a new air conditioner.
One of the most commons reasons air conditioning systems stop working is due to a clog in the drain line. Designed to remove built-up condensation in the AC, drain lines carry excess moisture via PVC pipe to the outside of your home. Over time the drain line can become clogged and cause water to back up into your HVAC system, which can shut it down altogether.
Follow these steps to check your HVAC system for clogs and remove them.
- Identify the Issue: When your AC malfunctions, it’s crucial to diagnose the problem before considering a replacement. One common issue is a clogged drain line, which can lead to system shutdowns.
- Turn Off HVAC System: Safety first. Before attempting any maintenance, ensure your HVAC system is powered off to avoid accidents.
- Access the Drain Line: Locate the cleaning port and remove its cap. Prepare a bucket to catch any excess condensation from the drain pan.
- Inspect for Blockages: Use a flashlight to examine the drain pipe for obstructions. If you spot a blockage, proceed to remove it either manually with gloves or using a drainage snake. Avoid pushing the blockage further down the pipe.
- Clean the Drain Line: Pour a mild cleaning solution down the drain line to dissolve any remaining debris. A mixture of warm water and soap or warm water and vinegar works well. Repeat this step if the clog is significant.
- Verify Drainage: After cleaning, ensure the cleaning solution flows freely through the drain line. If it remains clogged, professional assistance may be necessary.
- Restore and Test: Replace the cleaning port cap securely and switch your HVAC system back on to confirm proper functionality.
Don’t let a clogged drain line leave you sweating it out in the Jacksonville heat. Contact Elite AC LLC today for swift and reliable HVAC services that’ll keep you cool and comfortable all year round.